I am deeply in awe whenever a large group of people or even a crowd would gather together for a purpose. What more if these individuals are young people gathered together for the purpose of worshiping Jesus Christ’s name? With this, I was greatly enthusiastic when I knew that our community, Youth For Christ – Gawad Kalinga, Misamis Oriental, would hold the Provincial Youth Fest for this year. This youth conference is done annually. During this year, the event was held last March 28-29, 2016 at St. Anthony’s Parish School, Manticao, Misamis Oriental.
From Cagayan de Oro City, one must travel an hour and a half to Manticao, Misamis Oriental which is already almost a boundary between the province of Misamis Oriental and Lanao del Norte.
I was nervous at first because a lot of us don’t have knowledge regarding the event’s itinerary. Also, what made me more fidgety was my task to deliver a piece during the creative portion of the program during the night. So, instead of focusing on this nerve-wracking experience of facing 500 plus young individuals, I instead bonded with my fellow members. I was glad to bond with my fellow youth who mostly younger than me.
Program Flow of the Provincial Youth Fest 2k16
Morning to Noon – Arrival of participants
We arrived at St. Anthony’s Parish School at 11:00am.
During our idle time before the start of the session at 2pm, we took crazy snapshots together with my friends. We also went around the area to discover the place, especially the not comforting comfort room.
2:00pm – Start of the session including praise and worship/Introduction and Welcome of Participants from the 4 Districts, East District and West District from Misamis Oriental and District 2 and District 1 from Cagayan de Oro City.
3:00pm-4:00pm – Breakout sessions for workshops
There are 4 different workshops for the afternoon sessions. These are the Speaker’s Workshop, Events Workshop, Worship Leaders Workshop, and Music Ministry Workshop. I joined the Speaker’s Workshop because of my interest on speaking and sharing myself to my fellow youth. However, only a few of us joined the Speaker’s Workshop. Indeed, a lot are called but only a few are chosen. 🙂
4:00pm-8:00pm – Free time (Prepare ourselves, dinner, practice for presentations)
8:00pm-11:00pm – Worship/Entertainment Night/Presentation of Creatives/Rave (Band, Spoken Praise, Dance)
Presentation of Creatives for Band, Spoken Praise, and Dance from District 2. Check out our video. 🙂
6:00am – Call time to prepare ourselves
8:00am – Sunday Mass at St. Anthony Parish
9:30am – Start of 3rd session
10:30am – 12:00pm – Praise jam and Awarding ceremonies
12:00pm – Lunch and departure to Cagayan de Oro and to our respective homes
My feedback/evaluation for the PYF2k16
1. We were able to bond with our fellow YFC members.
2. We were able to know some people from other districts.
3. The t-shirt design is very appealing.
4. We were able to worship our Lord Jesus Christ.
5. The speakers are great.
6. The praise jam is awesome.
7. We were able to feel God’s love to us.
8. We were amazed as we witnessed the diverse talents of our fellow brothers and sisters in Youth for Christ – Gawad Kalinga, Misamis Oriental.
1. The 2 comfort rooms are not comforting at all. The comfort rooms and wash rooms are dirty, smelly and above all, are not conducive to accommodate 500 plus participants. Well, as they say, when joining a camp or conference, one should not expect for a luxurious or comforting accommodation. #Cowboy
2. There is not enough water supply for taking a bath or for call of nature.
3. The food is not worth paying for. The participants have paid Php200 as registration which includes food and payment to the venue. A lot of participants really complained on the food, most especially in the last day because the fried chicken was not wholly cooked.
4. The auditorium was not conducive for the participants. There were no chairs. We only sat on the floor that is not tiled.
5. The participants were not informed on the itinerary of the conference and on the food. Most of us bought our food from people selling in the area. Without a choice, we bought our food in this stall, despite the expensive prices of their products.
Overall, despite the negatives I’ve mentioned, the pros truly outweighs the cons. What matters most is the bond, the joy, and the happiness we’ve shared together with our Youth for Christ – Gawad Kalinga brothers and sisters. It’s a summer to remember for us before we would have a fresh start for another school year, for them! But for me, I already have to work (I’m not getting younger, Haha). At the same time, we were able to feel God’s love through our brothers and sisters and through the things that happened during the conference. We were able to sing our endless praise to Our Lord Jesus Christ because most importantly, He made us for His worship, to do everything for His Greater Glory!
One more time for YOUTH FOR CHRIST – GAWAD KALINGA, MISAMIS ORIENTAL, DISTRICT 2